Ayodya Ratnayake, a dazzling 24-year-old has indeed made her mark in the Sri Lankan fashion industry. 2012 bore witness to the launch of her line ‘Ayora Designer Wear’. Although far from reaching her ultimate goal, the launch of the designer wear has indeed been a milestone.
Ayodya always knew exactly what she wanted to do in life, “I loved
almost anything that is related to design and art ever since I was a kid and I used to be very much in to fashion illustrations and designing. Although I didn’t have any idea of how the fashion world really worked, I knew I had the potential in the field of design. So I wanted to study and learn the subject.” Taking charge of her ambition, Ayodya joined The Academy Of Design after completing her A/L examination at Holy family Convent Bambalapitya. She went on to complete a degree at AOD.
this has given me the exposure and experience I have longed for as an aspiring designer.”
snowball rolling for the youngster “I think it was after winning the
title of the up and coming designer of the year award because the
show was the perfect opportunity for me to express my individual
style as a designer. Thereafter I have got many chances to be a part
of various other fashion shows and also an opportunity to work
with most of the fashion professionals in Sri Lanka.”
Meeting some of the greats in the Sri Lankan fashion industry
and working with some of them Ayodya considers Dilani
Wijeysekare her role model in fashion. “She is very humble
and sweet and has been very supportive in many ways to help
and promote most of the young designers work. So I really
appreciate that about her.”
Following the launch of her line Ayora, Ayodaya hopes
to expand to an online store where those who log onto the
site can pick and choose whatever design they prefer and contact her to get them re made in their size.
Speaking on her philosophy in designing Ayodya said that “Designing is not all about the process of thought
to pen. It’s about how you develop your thoughts and ideas to the point you actually construct the garment
in a commercially viable and fashion forward way that’s going to tell a little story to your customer.” In a field where inspiration holds the key to your creativity, she has no problem because as a true artist she is inspired by everything. “Everything inspires me! We have to learn to be inspired by everything that is around us! Even the things that we hardly notice. You just have to keep your eyes open and go in search of things to inspire you! The least thing that can lead to an inspiration can inspire me and anything I find interesting is l i k e l y to be a part of one of my collections.”

